This is hands down the best finish we've created, and we do a lot of tweaking! Follow the steps below to make yourself the best cutting board finish you will ever get your hands on.
What you need:
- Get yourself 4 mason jars, about 4 oz. in size. This will help actually being able to get the stuff out of the jar since they are a bit stubbier and have a wide mouth.
- 2 cups (16 fl. oz.) of mineral oil from your local pharmacy (food grade, not the stuff at paint stores!) Usually these bottles have exactly 16 oz. in them.
-1/4 cup (2 fl. oz.) Beeswax in pellet form, or solid block shaved with a grater. I like the white beeswax if you can find it, it tends to not color the wood a yellow tint. If you like this, use the yellow by all means!
-1/4 cup (2 fl. oz.) Carnauba wax in either pellet, powder, or shaved form.
- A double boiler ( a saucepan and metal bowl to place inside. If you aren't sure what this is, just hop on google and do a little research. Nothing too complicated.)
-Spatula to give a quick stir and scrape every lat bit of this amazing finish into those jars of yours!
As soon as you have yourself all of these, lets cook! This should only take you about 10-15 minutes.
1. Heat your Mineral Oil in your double boiler at medium heat (not too high, careful for this one!)
2. Dump in both your Beeswax and Carnauba Wax. Let them melt completely, stirring occasionally, until all your wax is completely dissolved.
3. Remove from heat, and pour contents into your mason jars. Let them cool and cap them up for later use!
4. Pat yourself on the back, you've just made the most legendary of all cutting board finishes! You should probably run down the street, shirt twirling above your head in victory letting all of your neighbors know you are better than them. Well, at least at making cutting board finishes.
-Warm the oil, liquifying it a bit.
-Take a clean cloth and apply a generous coat and let sit for roughly 30 minutes.
-After it soaks in, repeat the process
-After drying again, wipe off any excess oil
Simple enough right? Do this weekly and after every Seasoning. This will keep your board in amazing shape for many, MANY, years to come!